Friday, October 21, 2011

Foodie Friday : Couscous Stuffed Peppers

My kids love couscous, and when I saw this recipe, I knew that I wanted to give it a try.  Well, the idea was great, the ingredients the recipe called for were a little more pricier {ie. ground lamb} than what I wanted to spend.  So I decided to create my own little spin.

Want to see my version??

Couscous Stuffed Peppers
Find at least 3 good Peppers. It can be all Green {like I did, because they're cheaper}, and you can mix it up with some different colors. I say at least 3, but I had leftover filling that could probably fill another 3 peppers {although my extra filling was eaten by my kids, because they didn't want the peppers}.
Slice the peppers in half, and scoop out the seeds & ribs. Place them cut side down in a pan, and drizzle some EVOO over the top.
Let them roast in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, chopped half a onion & mince 2 garlic cloves.
In a pan, cook up a pound of hamburger {or turkey burger-that's what I used} with the onion & garlic.
Add some salt & pepper, and because I was using turkey burger, I decided to add a couple sprinkles of poultry seasoning.
When the meat is browned and the onions have softned, add a can of chicken broth. Bring to boil, and add a box of couscous. Turn off the heat, take the pan off the burner, and cover & let sit for 5 minutes.
During this time, my peppers were done roasting, so I took them out and let them sit on the counter. See the blistering starting to happen??? Perfect.

After the 5 minutes, mix up the entire meat/couscous mixture. Scoop & fill each of the pepper shells. Now you could stop right here, but I decided to give it a little something extra. I sprinkled some parmesan cheese on top, followed by a sprinkling of parsley. Stick the pan back into the oven and let it bake for another 15 minutes {this is too make sure the peppers really cook-I like my peppers nice and soft}.
And that's that. A delicious dinner worthy of the exclamation "Yummo!".
My kids completely devoured this. My oldest son ate three servings of the stuffing. I loved the stuffing with the pepper-it was delicious!
I hope you try this out. Enjoy!

0 comments: