Friday, October 5, 2012

Foodie Friday: Mandarin Chinese Chicken Salad

I thought I would share a little background on my first time making this and being a newly married wife.

I love Pampered Chef.  When my mother in law asked me what kind of shower I would like I immediately told her Pampered Chef.  The consultant did a really good job of showing off the products and made this mandarin Chinese chicken salad. (Note: you do not need pampered chef stuff to make this recipe)  It was so so delicious that I wanted to make it for Ben once we were married.  Plus it looked super easy for me to make and not mess up.

It was a little crazy when we got back from our honeymoon.  We had planned on having alot of our house remodeled and ready to live in upstairs.  It didn't happen that way.  Of course it didn't help that we closed later than we wanted.  That first night back I went to the grocery store to grab some staples like milk, cereal, bread, and cheese to get us through the first couple of days.  We had grilled cheese the first couple of nights for dinner.  It was great. 

Finally, things settled a little and we went grocery shopping together.  I told him I wanted to make this salad from my shower.  So we went to get ingredients for this salad.  When we got the produce section, we picked or a head of lettuce because it was small in size.  The next night when I went to make the salad the lettuce was cutting up weird and looked weird.  At first I thought I picked a really bad head.  I called my husband over and we both looked at each other and laughed.  It turns out it was a head of cabbage.  While cabbage was still good with this salad, I think I like lettuc better.  (Personal preferance). We still laugh about to this day and make sure we are getting lettuce and not cabbage. 

Ingredients:
*Skinless/boneless chickbreasts (quantity depending on family size.  I usually do about two for my husband and I)
*Can of Mandarin oranges (One is good for my husband and I)
*head of lettuce
*Chow Mein hard noodles
Dressing
*1/2 cup rice vinegar
*3-4 Tbs soy sauce
*1/4 tsp ground ginger
*1 pressed garlic clove
*2 tsp. sugar
*1/2 cup vegetable oil

Supplies
Pot
Garlic Press(or a knife if your don't have a garlic press
Salad dressing cup(A tall drinking cup and a whisk will work just fine)
Cutting Board
Knife for chopping lettuce

I put took my chicken breast and put them in a pot of water to boil.  While the chicken was boiling I made the salad dressing.  I started by mixing rice vinegar and soy sauce.  I then added the ground ginger and mixed it in.  Using my garlic press I pressed my garlic clove into the dressing cup.  If you don't have a garlic press I am sure you can mince the garlic.  I then added the sugar and vegetable Oil and mixed that in. 

I then checked the chicken and made sure the internal temperature was 160 degrees.  After it 160 degrees I took it out and cut it up.  I then took my head of lettuce and chopped it up.  I then open my can of mandarin oranges. 
I then put the salad in a bowl with the chicken, mandarin oranges, and chow mein noodles on top.  I don't put the dressing on.  I like to let my husband and I decide how much we want. 

You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:


0 comments: