Monday, September 3, 2012

Munchkin Monday: Silly Monster Decorations

So once again I went to one of my favorite places......Wood Creations.  If you haven't been there, you seriously need to get off your behind and get in there!  Unless you live too far away and then I guess I will cut you some slack.  When I went there the other day, I was just tagging along with my sister and didn't really plan on getting anything because I knew I wouldn't have time to do any crafts.  I am getting ready to completely repaint and switch my kids' rooms.  I need to move my daughter into what is currently my son's room because it is a little bit bigger and will fit bunk beds better, since we are having a girl they will have to share a room.  Anywho....my little guy was a bit upset about having to get a new room so I told him I would make him a super cool room.  I decided to decorate it in silly monsters.  I figured that would last him for a few years before he grew out of it.  So I made him a really cool comforter (I will post about that later.....once I figure out exactly what I did with it) with some fun, silly monsters.  Then I was thinking about what kind of decorations to do.  It's kinda hard finding cool monster stuff in bright colors, not Halloween colors.  Well.....I guess it was destiny to walk into Wood Creations because as soon as I walked in, they had these silly monsters!!



 I was so excited I almost peed my pants! (okay....that was just the baby using my bladder as a trampoline, but I really was excited!)  So I snatched them up =)  Luckily, I have a super crafty sister that had all of the supplies that I needed so I didn't have to go buy anything else.

This was a super easy and fun project to do.  The best thing....my son loves it!!!  It's not to oftenI can find a boy craft that I can do for him.  I am excited for the upcoming room redoing and I will post some before and after pics of them =)


They come as the unfinished wood.  They came with all the different shapes for the mouths and eyes.

I then painted them.  I am doing bright colors in his room so I did a green, orange, and blue.

Then I painted the different face parts, put some mod podge on it and then sprinkled some glitter.  This is a shredded glitter, I think.  Once it is dry, you spray with a mod podge sealant.

Once the paint on the wood was dry, I did a layer of mod podge, then put the paper on it.  But don't make the same mistake i did....I would recommend cutting out the paper instead of just putting the whole sheet on top, but I was in  a hurry to finish since it was already after 8pm and I still had to finish and then drive 20 minutes home and my daughter had to wake up for school in the morning......fun, huh?

Then slap a layer of mod podge on top of the paper to seal it.
Then put your faces together.  I added a bit of tinsel for some funky hair for them.  You can't tell from the pictures but the blue has a star pattern on the paper, the green has swirls, and the orange has dots.  I am so excited to put these up in my little guy's room.
I have some other ideas for some decorations for his room in store so stay tuned and hopefully I will be able to get some posts up about those.



You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! I'm glad it turned out. :) Do you know if Wood Creations has any flat houses in it (something to hang on the wall)? You're lucky that you get to post so many cute things. It's a lot of work switching rooms, but it gives you a lot of time to be creative! :)

Triny Kay said...

I know they have lots of flat stuff to hang on walls =) they have some super cute halloween stuff right now. I know in the spring they get lots of birdhouses type projects that are for the walls. -Trinity

Jenn said...

These are so cute! I know fun boys stuff can be hard to find. I have never even heard of Wood Creations so we must not have one anywhere around me. Sounds like a great store!

Sarah Tackett said...

Very cute - I love making stuff like this! I am a follower of your blog on Facebook and would love if you could hop over to my new blog (http://sarahsaturdiy.blogspot.com/) and share the blog love. Have a great weekend!