Friday, August 31, 2012

Foodie Friday: One of our past recipes =) Corn Chowder



*Sigh*
I love Fall weather. The landscapes turn beautiful colors. Sweaters are pulled out of the closet. The stove can be used to create wonderful concoctions without turning the kitchen into a sweat shop. Yes, I think I like Fall.

On the menu this week was Homemade Corn Chowder. I was excited to make soup, espcially today since it's been nice and gloomy. I also made homemade Bread Bowls. More so because I was lazy and forgot to buy some at the store, but I saved some money & some labor because I used my bread machine to make the dough. I found out that I could do any bread dough recipe, so of course I chose our favorite White/Wheat recipe.


The bread turned out perfect!

Corn Chowder
Printable Recipe found HERE:


First off, I diced up a whole onion & some sweet bell peppers.


Next, I sauteed the veggies in some EVOO & a little bit of S&P.


I let them get all soft, because I have a thing with raw onions & peppers. I don't like them that way. They must be cooked!


Next, I measured out 3 cups of frozen corn.


And then added them to the pot. I wanted this to be CORN chowder, so of course lots of the main star.


Now to get a more creamy soup, I added in 2 tbls of flour. After stirring everything together, make sure you let it cook for a couple of seconds.


I then measured out 4 cups of milk {I used Skim-because that's how I roll}, but I only used 3 cups. I slowly poured a little bit at a time, scraping the bottom & mixing everything together. I just watched the consistency. The ratio of "broth" to veggies was good to me at 3 cups, but if you want more broth, just add more milk.



Next, I turned the stove down, and stuck the lid on top, and let it all mingle together for 30 minutes {stirring every so often}.


If I haven't said it before, I love these dutch ovens. Every cook should have one in their arsenal.
After the 30 minutes, take a taste to test the seasonings. I thought it was good in general {meaning the younger kids}, but I did shake on some pepper on my individual serving.


And there you go. Yummy, comforting corn chowder. And the bread bowls worked perfectly.


The soup made the bottom of the bowls creamy and delicious!


This is such an easy & simple recipe to make. So if you make it, I hope you enjoy it!

You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:


0 comments: