Monday, September 17, 2012

Munching Monday: Rainy Day Science Experiment

Did you ever make a volcano in science class? Or just for the fun of it play with baking soda and vinegar just to watch it fizzle? I spent hours doing it....but I am a bit of a science nerd. Well, one day, my kids were being crazy and needing something to occupy them since it was a Sunday so they couldn't go play. I remembered seeing this idea and it brought back lots of memories for me so I introduced my kids to some fizzy fun. This is super easy and you probably already have the stuff in your cupboard.

Supplies:
Baking soda
Vinegar
Food coloring
Medicine Droppers ( you can buy them for $1ish in the medicine isle)


Mix a few drops of whatever colors you want with about 1/4 cup vinegar. Spread your baking soda in a baking sheet or pan. Then let the kids put drops of the colored vinegar on the baking soda.



 If you want to get technical with your older ones you can explain the chemical reaction and how it is releasing carbon dioxide and that is causing the fizzing and you can talk about acids and bases. Or just let the kids have fun :-)
This is a great activity for rainy days, or this upcoming winter when the kids are stuck inside.  It works great for a variety of ages. My 3 1/2 year year old had just has much fun as my 7 year old.  Just a warning....the food coloring does stain so make sure the kids are wearing stuff that can get a few drops on them, and that they are doing it in an area easy to clean up (no carpet =)  )

This was the end result of my kids playing.....they had lots of fun filling and coloring the whole pan and were begging to do more.  But I don't want them to get burned out so I left them begging and told them we would do it another day. =)




0 comments: