Monday, June 27, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

I had always heard people talking about these brownies and thought,"Ew!  That sounds gross!"  Then one day, a lady I worked with a few years ago made some.  She reaffirmed my belief that they were gross.  But she wasn't much of a cook so I can't blame her for trying.  I knew somewhere there had to be a good recipe for these since I kept hearing so much about them.  I searched for a recipe and finally found one!!!  I even tricked a few people into trying them, not telling them what it was, to see what they thought.  They all loved them! (except my husband because he's allergic to healthy food =P  ) 
So now my opinion on black bean brownies is "Yum!!!  give me more!!!" I love how moist these things are.  I'm a dark chocolate freak (I love the 80% cocoa bars) so these are perfect for me.  If you don't like dark chocolate, these might not be up your alley, but if you do.....you should whip up a batch. 


I love these (hence the reason half the brownies are gone and I just made them this morning)!!

1 can black beans, drained
3 eggs
3 tbs oil
1/3 c. cocoa + 1 tbs
pinch of salt
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 c. sugar + 2 tbs
1 tsp. baking soda
 chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease 8-in pan with cooking spray.  Puree the beans in a food processor (puree them really really good).  Combine beans, oil, cocoa, vanilla, sugar, soda until smooth.  Gradually mix in eggs. Add chocolate chips if desired.
Pour into pan.  Let bake for about 30-40 minutes, until center comes out clean when poked with knife or toothpick. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top and let melt (if desired)

These have a dark chocolate taste to them so I love it!!  They hit the spot every time whenever I'm craving chocolate and I don't feel as guilty when I eat half the pan myself (okay, it's usually the whole pan but I space it out a few days).  You can't even taste the beans.  Because of the soda they have a cake-like texture.  Plus, since beans are used and not a whole lot of oil these are a much healthier alternative.  I'm not sure on the point value but I think it is around 1 point per serving, and it has 16 servings.  Enjoy!!!

0 comments: