- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
I sometimes have to bake mine a little longer. You don't want them too jiggly, you want it to start browning a little. As soon as you take them out, sprinkle with powder sugar and let cool in refrigerator. They are much better the next day or after cooling for a few hours. If you're short on time, you can even freeze them.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour, almond extract, and 1/2 cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven. The bars will firm up as they cool.