Thursday, November 3, 2011

DIY Thursday: Harvest Blocks

I am slowly building up my holiday decorations.  Up until the past year or two, the only decorations I have had has been fro Christmas, that was my tree.  But then again, up until this past year we have either been in a small apartment where we couldn't do anything, or staying with family.  So I am excited to be able to start collecting decorations for our house.

I decided to do some wood blocks for Thanksgiving since I loved my Halloween ones.  It's just nice to be able to change up the scenery a bit.  These blocks were super easy to make!

First, get a 2x4 and cut out some pieces =)  I did 2 7-inch blocks and 1 6-inch block.  Whatever size you do, make sure that the block for the "H" is taller than the other 2 stacked up. Sand down the edges to make sure you get all the slivers and snags.

(yes, I know these are backwards, but you get the drift)
Next, choose your colors and papers. I did a metallic brown, orange, and red.  The orange and red that I had were too bright and I didn't want to go out and by new paint so I just added a bit of black to them and darkened them into the colors I wanted.  Paint your blocks.  I would paint all sides, including the back, unless they are going to against something.  Once the paint is fully dry, get out your trusty modge podge.

Cut your paper to a little bit bigger than the size of your block.  Spread a layer of modge podge on the block and put your paper on it.  Let it dry completely.  Once it is dry, sand the edges to give it a distressed look.  I even run the sand paper over the paper a bit too.  Once your sanding is done, put on your lettering.  I cut my letters with my cricut and just used card stock paper. I was a bit miffed that it kept bubbling, but oh well, what can you do when you're too cheap to go out and buy a roll of vinyl just for one project? =P  I used the "Stamped" font.  I put the lettering on with modge podge.  Let it dry.  Then do another layer of modge podge over it all to seal everything.  Once this is dry completely, you can embellish it however you want.  Find some sparkly leaf stickers, jewels, ribbons, buttons, twine, basically whatever you want. I may get some wide ribbon and wrap it around these, but I'm still debating if I want to or not...








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Cute! I have a love affair with cute wooden blocks! Thank you for linking up!

Emily said...

That's super cute! I want to make some =)