Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Canned Tomatoes




Ok so I know normally today is a Sweet Tooth Tuesday but we are switching things up a bit. I recently canned some tomatoes and let me tell you I was so excited to see a lot of my empty bottle get filled up. Canning tomatoes is something that is easy but time consuming. I was worn out by the end of the day and I'm sure being 31 weeks pregnant while doing so didn't help. This year I did tomato juice and then stewed tomatoes. I may do some salsa as well if  I end up getting quite a few more tomatoes. Here are some tips for canning tomatoes:

  • A bushel of tomatoes will usually yeild about 24 quarts
  • For tomato juice I like to add 1 1/2 tsp of salt per quart and 2 Tbsp lemon juice per quart. The lemon juice makes the tomatoes more acidic.
  • It is normal for when canning tomato juice to have it "separate". The heavier, thicker stuff is at the bottom and the more watery stuff sits above that.
  • Where we live, the tomatoes have to be steamed for 55 minutes
  • Make sure to clean the tops of the jars before placing on the lids to ensure proper sealing
  • Soak your lids in boiling water just for about five minutes to help ensure proper sealing
  • For stewed tomatoes I ended up slicing the tomatoes in fourths, placed in a large canning pot and added 3 peppers, 2 onions, and a stalk of celery all finely chopped. I also add 1 tsp salt to each quart. Once your the stewed tomatoes come to a boil you can place in your jars and steam them.

Happy Canning!!!

1 comments:

Sandwich Recipes said...

Hello mate greaat blog post