Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sweet Tooth Tuesday: Cinnamon Burst Bread

I LOVE cinnamon bread!  (as in, I will eat the whole loaf myself and bite the hand off anyone who tries to take it away from me) Especially from Great Harvest, even though I don't get a chance to go there very often.  One day, I found this recipe and decided to try it.  I was instantly in love once I tried them!  They have just the right amount of cinnamon as to not over power it and be a sweet bread.The rolls are nice and soft and fluffy.  Serve it with some cinnamon butter or just plain ol' butter and it is yummy!!  My hubby even suggested some some icing like with cinnamon rolls.  I may have to try that......




Cinnamon Burst Rolls

 4 1/4 - 4 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 T. active dry yeast
1 c. milk
1/3 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. butter, margarine or shortening
3/4 t. salt
2 beaten eggs, room temperature
1/2 c. cinnamon chips



Put 2 c. flour in mixing bowl. Add yeast, gluten and salt. Mix well. Put whole 
eggs (shell and all) in a drinking glass and fill up with hot tap water; set aside to
 bring eggs to room temp. In a microwave safe bowl, combine milk, sugar, butter 
and cook until butter is almost melted. Stir until butter and sugar is dissolved. Drain 
water from eggs. Add eggs to milk mixture. Pour into flour mixture and mix well. Allow
 to rest for 10 minutes. 


Add rest of flour, one cup at a time until dough clings to hook and almost cleans the sides.
When adding the last 1/2 c. of flour, add 1/2 c. cinnamon chips and knead for 2-3 minutes.
 If you try to knead any longer, the heat may begin to dissolve the chips prematurely. 

Touch dough lightly. Add more flour if dough sticks to your fingers. Knead for 3-4 minutes. 
Dough should be soft, smooth, elastic, wet, and not sticky. Scrape down sides of bowl, 
oil the top, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise to double in warm, 
draft free place (in oven with pan of hot tap water underneath) for 30 minutes.

Divide dough into 2 piles. Shape into balls and cover with plastic wrap. 
Allow dough to rest for 5 minutes. Shape as desired and place on greased baking sheet.
 Cover with plastic wrap; allow to rise for 20-30 minutes.

Bake in 375° oven for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.


















The original had the chips intact but when I shaped the dough, my cinnamon chips were
 melted so they swirled into the dough.  I like it this way better.  The reason my dough was
 warmer was I used my oven (actually had the oven turned on, not just letting the bowl sit)
 to speed up the rise time.  Just put your oven on warm and place the bowl in the oven and
 it cuts the time in half.  (I place a towel on a cookie sheet and then put the bowl on top so I 
don't get a melted bowl)


Also, if you want to do this as a loaf of bread (yum!) just follow the same directions except
 instead of balls, shape it into a loaf pan.  You will need to cook it longer, I'm not sure of the 
exact time but around 20-30 minutes should work (the way I test is if the top is golden brown
and makes a hollow sound when you knock on it).


ps.  I have to give my other blog a quick shout out
Come check out my blog Loving Life One Meal at a Time for some other fun recipes too =)

You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:


6 comments:

Kaylyn said...

Looks super yummy. I need to remember cinnamon chips on my shopping list!

Rachel said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMM

Justine said...

Stopping by from Mouthwatering Monday! http://queenofsavings.com

Maria said...

YUM!!!! I love cinnamon bread too, and these look so yummy!!!!!!! Thanks for the idea!

Jocelyn said...

I like that the chips swirled into the biscuits too!!! These sound like an awesome breakfast...now to find the cinnamon chips.

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

Oh my goodness that sounds so delicious! I like that it is rolls, too! Thanks so much for sharing!

Take care,

Trish