Thursday, January 19, 2012

DIY Thursday: Valentine Topiary



I have a shelf that I want to be my seasonal shelf, but the thing is, it needs something tall with every season to be "right." So why not make a Valentine Topiary? It is super easy and super cute!


What do I need to make this?
felt (about 1/3 yd)
Dowel 
Straight pins with flat tops
scrapbook paper
metal bucket (Joann's)
Ribbon
3 inch Styrofoam ball
Styrofoam for the bottom
Moss



 I used the inside of our duct tape to trace a TON of circles! 


Stack your felt layers 2-3 thick and start cutting your circles. If you have a die cutter or a Cricut expression or Silhouette cutter then go ahead and use those. Sadly, I don't have those :( 
Now, fold your circles into 4ths and start pinning them ALL over your Styrofoam ball. When I first started pinning I was pushing them together really tight. Then I had to go back and pull half out because I didn't like the spacing. If you don't want to use pins and you want to skip straight to hot glue, go ahead but remember you can't edit and rearrange the felt if you glue it onto the ball.


TADA!!



Okay, now take your dowel and paint it whatever color you want and stick it in the bottom of your ball! 
Take your metal bucket and cover it with your paper (getting around the handle is tricky you need to trace the best you can) use modge podge to attach the paper to the bucket. If you are lucky and can find a cute Valentine bucket then you are golden. None of the ones I could find were cute and I loved the quote on this paper so I was sold and stuck covering my own bucket :) 
My bottom as you can see is the florist foam because it was the size I wanted and it was there!  But if you are lucky to have just gotten a package and have left over Styrofoam from that then go for it!  Cut it to size and drop it into your bucket. Stick your dowel into the foam, then cover with your moss (glue with hot glue).
Add any little embellishments you feel your bucket needs, like some fun ribbon tied around. 


If you have any left over circles fold them in 4ths again and make yourself a cute hair clip. Each one uses 6-8 circles. Put 4 on the bottom making a circle. then stagger the next 2 and glue the insides together to keep it fluffed and cute. 


Thanks and enjoy making your own. They are really rather quick. (I actually made 2)





3 comments:

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This turned out great! Good job. I hope you will link up to my I Heart Projects Party!
http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/01/i-heart-projects-linky-party.html

Unknown said...

That's SO pretty! Love it! So glad you shared at Shine on Fridays!

Six Sisters said...

This is such a cute topiary. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. We are so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We hope you will come back next Saturday and share another great idea! -The Sisters