Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sweet Tooth Tuesday: Soft Caramel Popcorn




We like to have movie night every once in awhile and my kids always request popcorn.  I love popcorn too.  Lately, I've been wanting to start doing flavored popcorn but for some reason it has intimidated me.  Then I found this super easy recipe and decided to give it a whirl.  My favorite part was that it stays soft!  I hate when popcorn gets hard when it is flavored.
Ingredients:
3 bags microwave popcorn, popped (which equals about 12 cups if you use a popcorn machine, I think it came down to about 1/2 c. kernals to make this much) I think I actually used close to 15 cups and I think I could have easily used more since the caramel dripped to the bottom of the bowl after it was all coated.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (I like to use salted butter since the rest of the popcorn is so sweet)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
Instructions:
Pop popcorn according to package directions and make sure you get rid of any unpopped kernels. This seems like a lot of popcorn but trust me it will get eaten! Place popcorn in a large bowl…larger than you think you will need.
In a large saucepan melt together the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Bring mixture to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce to medium heat and add the can of sweetened condensed milk. With the rubber spatula, stir constantly for 5 minutes scraping the sides and especially the bottom of the pan to
prevent any burning. The longer you cook it the firmer the caramel will be. I like mine a little on the soft side so I like to cook it shy of 5 minutes…around 4 minutes and 30 seconds.
Pour caramel over popcorn and stir until coated. This will take a lot of stirring to get it all incorporated. It’s great warm or at room temperature. Feel free to add in M&Ms, nuts, or drizzle it with chocolate. I like it plain and classic. Enjoy!





You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:



1 comments:

Trevor and Emily Fuhriman said...

Thank you for sharing this!! I can always find candy popcorn recipes but not the good caramel ones!! Thank you!!!