Friday, January 10, 2014

Foodie Friday: Potato Bread

I am always on the lookout for new bread recipes.  I really want to find a good homemade bread that would be great for sandwiches.  I have found some really good ones but they are crumbly, not so good for sandwich bread, but great for soup and stew.  Well I came across this recipe and had to try it.  I love it when people bring potato rolls to things so I figured potato bread would be good.  I was right.  It was really good!  Now I know what I can do with all my leftover mashed potatoes that I freeze.  (I seem to think my little family can eat 5 lbs of mashed potatoes in one sitting.....)  
I got the original here:Irish American Mom.  She has lots of fabulous pictures about the whole thing.

Ingredients

  • 1 and 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (2 - 3 medium)
  • 1/2 cup reserved potato cooking water
  • 2 packets active dry yeast (1/4 ounce each)
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°to dissolve yeast)
  • 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
  • 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter or oil (to grease the mixing bowl for bread to rise in)

Directions


Peel and cube the potatoes. Place in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until tender.

Drain the potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.

Mash the potatoes. Press through a food mill or strainer to remove any lumps. Set the potatoes aside.

Empty the yeast packets into a large mixing bowl. Add the warm water and set aside for about 10 minutes until the mixture is foamy.

Add the warm mashed potatoes, warm milk, reserved potato cooking water, melted butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups of the flour.

Knead with a dough hook of an electric mixer. Gradually add an additional 2 to 3 cups of flour to form a stiff dough. Knead it in the mixer until smooth and glossy, about 8 minutes.

Grease a large bowl and transfer the bread dough. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel. Set in a warm, draft-free space and let the dough rise and double in size (about 1 hour).

When risen, punch the dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into two equal halves.

Take each section, knead lightly and shape into a loaf.

Place into two greased loaf pans (9 inch x 5 inch). Cover again and let the dough rise for an additional 30 minutes until doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the loaves for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for a further 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. The loaves are cooked if the base sounds hollow when tapped.

Remove from the pans and cool on a wire rack.

0 comments: